Future and Metro Boomin Double Down on Dissing Drake

Image courtesy of Future

Over the past few weeks, Drake has been catching all the smoke from Future and Metro Boomin with their pair of collab albums “We Don’t Trust You” and “We Still Don’t Trust You.”

The first record came out around the middle of March. Acting mostly as a true to form trap-rap record, many shots were being thrown at The 6 God himself. Most notable of which had to be Kendrick Lamar’s stellar verse on “Like That.” There are simply too many standout bars to name, but just know that he didn’t hold back. Lamar ends his verse calling out both Drake and J. Cole, who are considered the other two of “The Big 3” along with Lamar, saying, “it’s just big me.” This has sparked endless conversation and debate all over the internet, making everyone wonder if the other two will fire back anytime soon.

Besides Lamar’s feature, there have also been a lot of shots fired by Future himself and other guests on both records. Future even opens the first record saying, “fake written all over you,” many believing this is a reference to Drake after the two had a falling out over the last couple years. Another standout diss has to be The Weeknd on the second album that just came out last week. He sings, “I thank God that I never signed my life away.” Many believe this is a direct reference to Drake and his label OVO, as The Weeknd was originally offered to sign with them until he created his own label XO. They have been throwing casual shots at each other since then.

Outside all this mudslinging, these two albums remain pretty hollow otherwise. There are definitely highlights on both respectively, but the tracks that don’t deal with any turmoil or interesting topics directly tend to fall short. I was able to forgive the first album for the most part, but with the second record you could really tell they were running out of ideas and things to say. As the second album was much more R&B and dance inspired, it was also nearly 30 minutes longer than the first, causing it to drag much more in the process with little to no substance in between the interpersonal tracks.

There was even a “Disc 2” attached to the end of this album, seemingly being more trap and pop-rap focused songs, maybe even songs that didn’t fit on the first album. And most of them are a nice change of pace, with a great A$AP Rocky feature near the tail end, but honestly after the hour of Future crooning I had to sit through before this, I end up feeling more uninterested than anything once I get to these leftovers.

Tensions did start to heat back up quite recently though, with a leaked Drake diss track ambiguously titled “Push-Ups” that features him taking shots at just about everybody you can imagine. Of course, many first believed this to be AI as it still has yet to see a proper release date, but from how heated this beat sounds and how energetic and agile Drake is spitting, that theory was quickly debunked.

Cole also tried his hand at dissing Lamar and company back, but that was quickly reshelved due to poor reception and a lack of enthusiasm from Cole himself, as he stated that he regretted even releasing it.

With this new Drake leak getting a lot of positive attraction though, we could see this feud lasting for at least a little while. Many are already speculating that Lamar might have a whole other track up his sleeve and is ready to tarnish Drake’s reputation even more. Maybe it’ll even be out before this article!

For Future and Metro Boomin, I could see them coming out with another track or two as well if this beef gets heated enough. But another album? I mean I don’t put it past them, but with just how lackluster the first two were, I think I’d be okay if we were spared this time around.

Overall, I’m excited to see how this feud turns out and who comes out on top, if there’ll even be a winner. There hasn’t been a mainstream rap beef quite like this in probably 5-6 years, funny enough that beef also involved Drake. The rap game was starting to feel a bit too friendly for a lot of people’s liking, so give it to Kendrick Lamar for keeping us entertained in 2024.

“‘Fore all your dogs gettin’ buried. That’s a K with all these nines, he gon’ see Pet Sematary.”