No Trick, No Treat

What’s not to like about Halloween? There are ghouls, ghosts, goblins, the usual scary stuff. On top of that there’s candy involved, and everyone loves candy, right? As a kid many of us I’m sure couldn’t wait for that special time of the year. The time to decorate your house, school, and even businesses in the best Halloween get up. When it comes to this holiday, the first most important thing is getting candy. That’s what everyone looks forward to. Going house to house or even at a Trunk or Treat saying the famous “Trick or Treat”. The second most important thing to do is find the best costume. Whether it be a superhero, cartoon character, monster, celebrity, etc. It’s a fun process. Kids all over the world and sometimes even adults dress their best from head to toe with makeup, wigs, fangs, and other accessories that complement their outfit. 

I admit as of just a few years ago, I would’ve been cool with doing all of that, however because I’ve gotten older and even from a religious point of view, I’ve stopped participating in it. Halloween even to me was one of the best holidays of the year. A family tradition of ours was going to the mall to get candy. When not going to the mall we went to Harvest fest at churches and instead of celebrating Halloween, we still dressed up and celebrated the harvest and the season of Fall.  

Thinking more about it, I dislike the idea of being hunted, possessed, sacrificed, or pranked on in a scary way even if it’s for pretend. I also believe that dressing up whether scary or unscary during this time of year and doing a Trunk or Treat is inviting creepy, horrific, and unknown spirits to come in. Into our homes, schools, businesses, churches, and into ourselves. In addition to that, the ones that go too far into Halloween make those who don’t celebrate it dislike it even more just by their actions. Many get engulfed so much so that they change during this holiday and take on these characters in the worst way. People start to engage in inhuman acts and validate callous pranks that cause others to be paranoid, invoking horror and fear into their lives. I don’t understand it and don’t think I want to. 

As many know, besides the games, candy and other festivities that happen around this time, Halloween is associated with witches, ghosts, sacrifices, raising of the dead and other things of that nature. That in itself has me wondering, are we as Christian believers supposed to dress up or acknowledge Halloween to begin with? Even if we don’t dress up as things some consider evil, would dressing up and calling it a Trunk or Treat be just as bad? 

Yes, we watch it on TV and poke fun at those things, but when it boils down to it those things to a believer of Christ are real and they’re not for the betterment of us and in a way to a believer it’s toying with evil. I’ve heard stories and biblical stories of people really getting possessed by unknown spirits. I’ve heard of people in real life taking on the role of a Vampire drinking human blood. There are stories of some becoming real Frankenstein, and all sorts of other monsters due to experimentation and those are some things I’d rather not participate in. There are people who have spoken of casting spells and getting spells cast on them and having to deal with the consequences of it. There are documentaries of people conjuring up spirits to speak to them or even to hunt people and play with their lives. People share their points of view on human and animal sacrifices going on. In addition, the most key issue is the crime rate all over the world is at its highest during this period. For example, Jenny Weaver, an ex-witch who used to celebrate Halloween, tells the origins of it, why believers shouldn’t celebrate it and all that happened to her in the process of being a part of this lifestyle. 

At the end of the day, I know many do not look at Halloween in this manner, but I do. This is not an attack or to diminish those who do celebrate it. It is rather to keep in mind what you’re celebrating and who you are celebrating for besides the candy, games, and other festivities. Even if Halloween is all tricks and treats, it is No Trick and No Treat to me. To those who do choose to celebrate this day, watch your surroundings, look out for others and all around Be Safe!