My First-Ever Homecoming

Carin Houser

College. What an experience it is. A lot of people go through college knowing that it is going to be one of the best experiences of their life. You learn how to be an adult, how to be responsible and also you meet a lot of long lasting friends that will probably stay with you the entire life. But time flies, and suddenly, you are not that freshman anymore. You are already a senior with a couple of months for your graduation. You feel sad because you know that you could never go back in time to be in college again. Or can you? 

Traveling to the past is not a possibility but there is something that can make you remember those days vividly: Homecoming. This week is homecoming for Millikin and the alumni that graduated are able to come back to live again a couple of days what it was once for them their home. A home where they grew up. The memories come back and the friends too.

As an International Student I didn’t understand the meaning of it until I saw it. Happy faces, events, free food and even fireworks! It feels like a week of reunion and celebration where all of the students are home again. For us, college is just a place to study and get your degree, but here it is something else. It’s a tradition.

The effort that Millikin puts in this week is astonishing as everyday there are funny and cool events like the bingo with amazing rewards, but I want to talk about one in particular: The Hypnotist. I was very skeptical about this one event as I never believed how that could happen, how can somebody control the consciousness of another human with ease. It is frightening but at the same time amusing. It was an experience that I will never forget. Seeing the faces of the people and the happiness of the hypnotist seeing that we enjoyed it made pretty much my entire week. But this is just an example. In homecoming you can have a week off where you are just having fun while finishing those assignments quickly to be able to go to the late night events.

So far it has been an amazing experience this week, but I can’t wait for the most important thing about homecoming. The football game. We are all ready with the Millikin towels and the bells to make a lot of noise while our team is trying their best to succeed in front of all of the alumni that have been around this college for years and maybe even decades. I wish the best of luck to the team and there is one last thing to say… GO BIG BLUE!