Advice for First Time International Students

Leaving your home can be frightening. That is why a lot of people don’t take the opportunity and rather stay in their comfort zone. That is fair because it takes courage to leave everything behind and start a new life by yourself.

But if you are reading this and you took a step forward and placed yourself into one of the most exciting phases of your life, a leap into the unknown.

Congratulations for doing it but this is only the beginning of your journey. Sometimes it can be really challenging getting to know a new culture, in a different country, with people that you have never met before and here you can have some advice from someone that has already been in this situation more than once.

You must remember that you are the foreigner, so you need to immerse yourself into the culture that is going to be your new home for months or years. The view of the world will differ from the people that you are surrounded so understanding why it is the first step.

Try to talk with people and don’t be afraid to ask when you don’t understand things, always polite and from the perspective of learning. The people that you meet will also learn from you as you are now an ambassador of your country. They will see you as a representation of your whole country so try to make a good impression always with truth and respect.

Engaging with the native people, eating the new and diverse cuisine, attend local event are some ways to make those icebreakers easier. These relationships will make you more confident and comfortable meeting new people as every person that you know will get you a bit closer into the insights of the local customs. Some of them will maybe be friend for your entire life.

Your horizons extend beyond the lecture halls; explore the environs and neighboring regions extensively, as every journey changes your perspectives and fosters incredible memories.

Studying abroad, undoubtedly, reshapes the course of your life’s narrative. Each day brings novel lessons, unforeseen challenges, and exhilarating encounters that galvanize your personal and academic growth. Thus, whether you are an intrepid first-time traveler or a seasoned wanderer in pursuit of fresh intellectual landscapes, take these advices to heart as you embark upon this extraordinary academic odyssey.

Bon voyage, dear initiates of overseas academia, and may your scholarly endeavors be crowned with prosperity and profound self discovery!