To be rigged, or not to be rigged

With the complete blowout between the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos in the XLVIII Super Bowl surprising many spectators, the rumor of a rigged game is circulating throughout the country.

Within the first few minutes, there were major mess-ups on the Broncos end that ended up with the Seahawks benefitting. By the second quarter, the idea of a close game between the two was laughable. The big game ended with a whopping score of 43-8, with the Seahawks taking the top title.

The idea of a rigged game began through the world of football by Huzlers.com. Huzlers is a site that “is a combination of real shocking news and satire news to keep visitors in a state of disbelief.” Well, it seemed to work. By the end of Super Bowl day, links and excerpts referencing this article were circulating via social media.

The excerpt most commonly used from this site said, “After the Seattle Seahawks victory over the Denver Broncos . . . with a final score of 43-8, NFL officials have just discovered that the game was most likely rigged. . . Officials believe the Broncos intentionally lost the championship in exchange for a large amount of money.”

While this site was entirely for entertainment, many of the viewers didn’t check the sites credibility before posting it to the Internet. From there, the post and quote went viral.

“I was more interested in the commercials throughout the Super Bowl than the actual game by the end of the first quarter. At half, I knew the game was going to the Seahawks. No question about it,” senior Drew Burge said.

As for the possibility of the investigation of the game, there will be no formal inquiry. There wasn’t a lot of talking on the end of the NFL and their sister sites, claiming during the few hours after the game that it was rigged. As the NFL stood their ground with the Seahawks as the champions, the football world was devastated and bored throughout the one-sided Super Bowl matchup.