Calling while driving: do people follow the new laws?

Texting while driving is a crime engrained into our minds from a young age, which is why when in need of assistance, most people decide to call rather than text. However, put into effect on Jan. 1 was a new law banning the use of handheld devices entirely.

But what does this mean for us?

Cell phone use itself isn’t restricted. It is simply limited to communicating without the use of hands. This being said, it requires the use of the phone’s speaker or an external device such as Bluetooth. Not only is this bothersome, as it takes more time to answer a call, but it can also be pricey. Bluetooth headsets are not always cheap, and many knock-off brands can’t even begin to compare with call quality.

So do people really follow this new law? Yes and no.

To be honest, many people aren’t even aware of this law. I know some who have purchased Bluetooth devices or take the time to turn the speakerphone on, but most people I know have simply become more conscientious about who they’re driving around, aka looking for police officers.

Being a McDonald’s employee, I truly see some of the strangest things. The other day, a man came through drive-thru drinking from an obviously labeled beer with no care in the world. I see people wearing sunglasses at 2 a.m. who have clearly been partaking in illicit activities. But lately I have continued to see numerous people talking on their cell phones.

Whether they know that the law is in place or not, I don’t think that people will actually make an effort to stop talking on handheld devices while driving. Or, if they do, it will overall be due to a police officer in close proximity.

However, with this said, I do not necessarily blame them. Using handheld devices isn’t always the problem; many people drive with only one hand. The problem more than likely lies with the conversations held that require more focus than the road to maintain.

Restricting the use of handheld devices even further will most likely not be followed and will have a much lower benefit than other laws.