The Grammy Weddings

The Grammys have a long history of causing controversy, in 2010 Pink got people stirred up over her “indecent” outfit, and in 2012 Nicki Minaj arrived with an actor dressed as the pope. But the 2014 Grammys is hard to top when it comes to the backlash that it caused. At this years Grammys, it was not the outfits or acceptance speeches that got people up in arms, but the “I do’s” that were said between 34 both straight and same sex couples. As Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s performed their well-known and Grammy-nominated song “Same Love,” Queen Latifah officiated the marriages. Queen Latifah has not been ordained, but was acting as a commissioner. She was proud to be a part of the mass wedding, saying, “I look forward to the day when presiding over a historic wedding ceremony like this is the norm, I can’t wait to dash off and sign their marriage certificates.” Queen Latifah was deputized by Los Angeles County in order to perform the weddings and signed the marriage certificates for each couple. But don’t start planning your own Queen Latifah wedding; her deputization expired at midnight on Sunday.

Although same-sex marriage is legal in 17 states, many were still not pleased with the Grammys. Kirk Cameron, a well-known conservative actor, posted on his Facebook, “Last night, the lines were drawn thick and dark. Now more than ever, we must work together to create the world we want for our children.”  Cameron is a well-known advocate against same-sex marriage. In a 2012 interview with Piers Morgan, he said that gay marriage and homosexuality were “destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization.” Cameron was not the only upset conservative, Rush Limbaugh called the show “horrible” and “despicable” on his Monday morning radio show. Limbaugh was also quoted as saying that the lyrics to “Same Love” “openly attacked right-wing conservatives and Christians.”

Same-sex marriage is not an issue that is going to go away. As states continue to discuss legislation and as many follow the path of the 17 that have already legalized it, the future looks brighter for couples of both sexes that want tie the knot. Although 33 states currently have bans in place on same-sex marriage, the issue of what happens when a same-sex couple who was married in a state that allows it like Iowa or Delaware (Illinois’s new law won’t take effect until June 1) crosses into a state that doesn’t, is complicating matters. As a judge in Ohio put it, “Once you get married lawfully in one state, another state cannot summarily take your marriage away.”