Should celebrities get off lightly?

When you think of crimes, what do you think of? Robbery? Kidnapping? Murder? What about other crimes such as drug possession, driving under the influence or drag racing? Though we all know these to be crimes, what happens when the committers of them aren’t treated as such?

Wait. Criminals not treated like criminals? Seems strange right? Except it happens far more often than we would expect. For instance, consider the case of celebrities.

As we all know, Justin Bieber was recently arrested in Florida for drag racing under the influence among other charges. However, he exited with only a bail set at $2,500 and the chance of jail time or a suspended license, which is considered low for multiple charges such as his. And this was just Florida. I’m failing to mention his assault charges in Toronto.

While many of his followers felt exalted by these lessened charges, others have wondered why he (or any other person of that stature) should have any special privileges.

Sure, fame combined with money can lead to greater treatment simply because of the ability to afford a good lawyer, but it should not result in lesser charges than others who committed the same crimes. This is especially true when the individual in question is not amicable to the arresting officers. Bieber is quoted asking a police officer why he was pulled over when he ‘wasn’t doing anything wrong’ despite failing a field sobriety test.

We find further proof of the benefits of fame when “ABC News confirmed that ‘because of Justin Bieber’s high profile status,’ he received special treatment and had his hearing moved up.”

Special treatment. High profile status.

What does this mean? And should it even matter?

An individual’s fame should not grant them special treatment. They should be required to spend an equal amount of time, money and other resources as others under similar charges. It’s the same for everyone: arrested, charged and then you pay for it. Having something to do, as many of us have discovered trying to work around court dates even for parking tickets, cannot and should not dismiss it.