A breath of not-so-fresh air

It’s a nasty habit that some of have picked up, or will pick up, during our lifetimes. Holding the nicotine stick between our fingers, breathing in the fumes and blowing out the remainder of the smoke.

Some smoke for stress-relief, finding it to calm their nerves. They may have picked up the habit because a friend pressured them into it or because they saw their parents doing it, so it must be okay. Others will smoke for not so healthy reasons, such as believing it will make you lose weight. It may, but it’s not a healthy way to shed a few pounds.

I’m not a smoker. I never have been, and I don’t plan on it. However, I have had friends who smoked, and I have a parent who smokes a lot, so I’m not unfamiliar with what it is, what it smells like and how the smoke always irritates my lungs. I think it’s a dreadful habit to pick up, but that is my belief. I’m not here to bash anyone for smoking as it is their right to do so.

Restrictions have been put into play for those who smoke. Smokers must be 15 feet away from the entrance of public buildings. They are not permitted to smoke on public transportation, and only 25 percent of hotel rooms are for smokers. Some businesses have chosen to accommodate their employees and guests by designating small areas for them to smoke, such as a small hut outside of a business or certain smoking areas within an amusement park.

The purpose of these restrictions was to “clean up the air;” essentially, its purpose is to protect those who choose not to smoke from having to deal with breathing in that air. It also helps protect against secondhand smoke to some degree.

On Millikin’s campus, I have seen people walking around smoking. They are generally away from the entrances – though I would say they are not at least fifteen feet away most of the time. Most are polite and will turn their back to those walking by so as not to breathe smoke into their faces.

Unfortunately, there have been a few incidences where I have had smoke blatantly blown into my face, which I find to be quite rude.

That’s what bothers me about smoking on campus. I don’t mind if you are; I know it’s a tough habit to break, but at least be considerate of those around you. There is plenty of space for you to exhale your smoke as opposed to breathing it onto someone’s face; it’s completely unnecessary. What if you breathe smoke into the face of someone who has breathing problems, and that happens to trigger it? Would you be proud of yourself for doing that?

While smokers have the legal right to smoke around any buildings, except where there are very specific exemptions, I don’t think it’s right for people to be smoking around PMC. Most of the students going into the building use their voices because they’re on the stage. Smoke can mess with their voices, and if they’re not smoking, that’s not fair to them.

Also, don’t drop your cigarette butts on the ground when Millikin has specific containers set up, as well as garbage cans, for cigarette butts to be properly disposed of. It’s been rare when I’ve seen these butts, but it has happened. Are you really so lazy that you can’t walk a few feet to the nearest trash can and dispose of it properly? Come on, people.

Yes, I believe you have the right to smoke. You can smoke to your heart’s content or until your wallet’s empty, whichever makes you happy. But when smoking, please remember that there are other people around you, too. As much as you have the right to smoke, they have the right to not have smoke blown in their face.

Keep the air fresh, Millikin readers.