THE CORNER: Let’s Talk about Texas

Pin-Up Whats books?

If you’ve been on Facebook in the past week, you’ve probably seen a couple articles shared among your friends that are causing a surge of outrage. I’m not going to link to them; those sites don’t need the traffic. One was a list article on why women shouldn’t have short hair, the other on reasons why you should date a girl with an eating disorder.

Ignore these articles. They are a distraction.

The real problem is Tuesday’s U.S. Supreme Court decision in Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas v. Abbott. In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court upheld the restrictive Texas abortion law that senator Wendy Davis filibustered this past summer. You may remember it as the law that will essentially force about 40 abortion clinics in the state of Texas to close.

The specific provision that was upheld requires doctors who perform abortions to have admitting privileges at a nearby hospital.

While I’m sure that provision seems sensible at first, research from any credible website shows that abortion is one of the safest medical procedures performed (women are 14 times more likely to die in childbirth than from abortion complications), and requiring the doctor performing the procedure to have admitting privileges at the nearest hospital is medically unjustified. If something does go wrong during the procedure, whether the doctor has admitting privileges at a nearby hospital has basically no impact on where the patient is eventually admitted.

To put it simply, admitting privileges have nothing to do with protecting the women receiving abortions and everything to do with keeping them from getting one.

Just so we’re clear, this is in a state where a woman who wants to have an abortion must undergo a medically unnecessary ultrasound, see the image, receive state-directed “counseling” specifically designed to discourage abortions, and then, after all that, wait 24 hours before finally terminating her pregnancy. This is also a state with some of the most restrictive policies in the U.S. in terms of teens being able to obtain birth control, along with enforcing an abstinence-only curriculum in its public schools.

And now, on top of all that, 1/3 of its clinics will no longer provide abortions.

In a state where practicing safe sex is discouraged, unwanted pregnancies are bound to happen, and the Supreme Court has now made it completely infeasible for many women to terminate theirs (here is a great article by the New York Times about women who are denied abortions).

Basically, the women of Texas are screwed.

This law was obviously written to circumvent Roe v. Wade. The fact that the Supreme Court upheld it is despicable, and shows that at least 4 of them care more about pushing their own agenda than deciding if something is actually constitutional or not. The women (and men!) of America should be outraged.

And yet, all I’m seeing are articles written by frat boys on dating anorexics.