Stereotypes at Millikin: The University

Millikin University: a small, Presbyterian-founded private liberal arts institute located in a bubble within the criminalized town of Decatur, Ill. We have one of the prettiest, if not smallest, campuses within a not-so-attractive town. Crime in the area is frequent, but Public Safety’s got our backs.

The above are some common stereotypes about the university. But they go way further than that.

Millikin is known for one thing: being a fine arts school. Whenever a student is asked what the majors are here, the easiest answer is, “We’re a fine arts school.” Namely music, art, theatre, etc. And let me tell you, we are good at what we do.

I recently discovered an anonymous blogger and critic, known only as the WARE (Worst Arts Reviewer Ever) who travels around the entirety of central Illinois to attend plays and musicals. He (she?) seldom has a good thing to say about many of these shows, but always enjoys those produced by Millikin.

Fine arts is what keeps the school alive.

However, Millikin does have other majors. In fact, we have a lot of other majors including nursing, biology and elementary education; many things that have nothing to do with fine art programs.

But because of the small number of majors that are offered, the professors are better able to devote their time and energy to the students and programs. Therefore, the school is also known for its level of education in general.

When asked where I attend school, my reply always generates one of two comments: “I don’t know where that is” (since we are a rather small private institution) or “Really? You go to Millikin? That’s a good school.”

I know it is. That’s why I, and everyone else here, chose it. And that’s also why we’re known for having one of the best job placement rates in the nation as of 2011 at 98%.

But regardless of our job placement rates or even poor luck in Division III, the students at Millikin are a success because they’re proud of what we do. They’re proud to be a student at Millikin. They’re proud to be Big Blue.