A curious bystander

The government has reopened, but finger pointing and partisan bickering still dominated Washington with the failures of the new Obamacare website.

Even those who say that this type of thing is expected — government websites have been experiencing glitches ever since the Internet’s birth — still lay most of the blame on the administration.

“Good governance, not superior technical chops or ready access to alpha geeks, is how you build complex systems that deliver reliable and resilient value for money,” Michael Schrage, a research fellow at the MIT Center for Digital Business, said. The administration, among other things, has been blamed for last-minute additions to the website and bad planning. Hearings about the website’s failures centered around the question: Did the government know about these problems when they ran the website? Or did they not?

This question, of course, was asked by Republicans, but they surprisingly haven’t done as much with the screw up as they could have. It probably wouldn’t have outdone their government shutdown screw up — Democratic campaign ads have already taken advantage of the situation — but every point counts in Washington.

What must be even more aggravating for Republicans is that the administration had to delay deadlines because of the failures, delays that the Democrats refused to submit to during the shutdown. So the whole shutdown really was useless for the American people; meanwhile, the Republicans got what they wanted after sacrificing their reputations. Democrats still seem on top of things when they are just as much of the problem (which makes one wonder if Democrats knew the problems but let the Republicans shoot themselves in the foot).

As mentioned, government-sponsored websites fail all the time. They are too complex with too many people in charge of them, people with little to no IT experience. But instead of forgiving the administration for making some human mistakes, perhaps it should be realized that the government can’t handle such a huge public enterprise. If they can’t handle the launch of a website, what will they do with health insurance? After all, not only are they not IT workers, but they are also not health care providers. I actually took a trip to the website to see the coverage plans; the monthly premium for a single, poor college student can be anywhere from $100 to $300. Eligibility for even lower premium costs depends on the customer remaining poor (which is easy for a college student—or even recent graduate—to do). Businesses, which will be required to offer health insurance to their employees, could make their workers pay between $200 to $400 with less coverage options. The most expensive group to cover is families; they could pay anywhere from $350 to $1000. All of this, of course, could be totally wrong—you don’t know until you actually create an account and shop the market. The website also doesn’t let you see your deductible, which can be anywhere from ten to 40 percent of total medical costs.

It’s safe to say that the system caters to poor individuals and, in a sense, is basically a form of welfare. It also goes without saying that the government has no money to support these