Women are dying younger: Why it matters

According to the article, “US women are dying younger than their mothers, and no one knows why” by MSN News, women in the United States have been dying at an increasingly younger age. While this is something that sounds alarming by the initial headline, it isn’t as drastic as it sounds. The decline is not over the past few years; it spans over the past two decades.

The article in question, while valid in its worry on this issue, makes it sound as though women have started to die sooner out of the blue. In fact, the group of women that are dying is even more specific than that; white women from the south and the west who have dropped out of high school are the ones who have been the cause of this statistical trend.

While the article states that there is no way of knowing why this is happening, the evidence that it shows is quite telling. They say that there is no evidence pointing toward this outcome while they have laid it out right in front of them.

The reason that this specific group of women have been dying sooner is because of how this generation is. In this world, it’s hard enough for college graduates to get employment after school, never mind those who did not even make it out of high school. Being in a situation where money is hard to come by, food needs to be bought for as little money as possible; and in today’s market, the cheapest food is the worst for you, such as McDonald’s or TV dinners. This unhealthy diet leads to a compromised immune system.

Another factor in the rising mortality rate according to MSN.com is that, “Smoking in particular appears to have had a significant impact on female mortality rates, as the health consequences of previous decades of tobacco use set in.” On top of all of this, these women who have not graduated high school have to work jobs with little to no flexibility or health care coverage.

The only thing that can really be done at this point is to give as much support as you can to those who need it. There is nothing that can be fixed overnight, but if people try to do the best that they can, the future can be a little brighter.