We’re up all night to get healthy

Millikin’s campus has been caught off guard by a new class offered this semester; Practicum in Health Promotions. The purpose of the class is to inform the Millikin community on different nutrition topics and to get them moving throughout the day.

This class, though the title is long and overall uninviting, seems pretty straightforward. Miranda Lofgren, a senior athletic training major, said, “We present on nutrition topics and engage in some sort of physical activity, whether that be a sport, activity or just walking.”

The class is aimed at getting the community involved in a healthy way. The class is informational, entertaining and active. The students of the class just want to see the campus get involved.

“It is a great opportunity to learn something and get your physical activity in for the day.” Lofgren said.

The biggest pull for the class is the activities they throw. The class opens itself up to the community on Mondays and Wednesdays for people to come participate. The class has a wide range of physical activities that they do.

So far, the students have played soccer, rugby, volleyball, floor hockey, lacrosse and have gone a campus walk.

If those games don’t have you hooked, there are more to come that will. The class will also be playing basketball, dodgeball, matball, a CrossFit workout and many other activities.

Lofgren said, “The most enjoyable part is being able to take an hour during the day to learn something about a nutrition topic and get moving through some activity.”

The class meets on Mondays and Wednesdays at 12:15 p.m. They meet either in Griswold or on the quad depending on what the activity is.

I think people should participate because it is also a great way to meet new people. You will learn loads of new information about nutrition and pressing health issues. This class has the knowledge that people should know. Besides that, the activities are fun and it is a great way to just get out and get moving while having a good time.