Recent shootings likely to fuel gun control debate

18 year old Permila Lal, was shot and killed in a prank that went horribly wrong. Permila and her cousin returned to Permila’s family residence, and decided to hide in a closet in order to scare Permila’s younger brother and family friend Narrek Galley, 21. Galley, hearing the noises from inside the closet, fired the gun in fear it was an intruder. The two boys, quickly realizing their mistake, rushed Permila to the local hospital, where she was later pronounced dead according to foxnews.com.

Galley, who also provided Permila’s brother with a firearm, has been charged with suspicion of providing a firearm to a juvenile, child abuse, and reckless endangerment. Permila’s family stands behind Galley, and Praveen, Permila’s father, said, “I just want to go and tell him we can feel his pain.”

There hasn’t been any rise of the issue of gun control on this latest incident. But with this latest occurrence, a new debate on the issue of gun control will be imminent; especially since Galley is to be charged with suspicion of providing a firearm to a juvenile, which is a felony crime according to the Longmont Police Commander, Jeff Satur.

There was also a shooting in Southside park in Chicago. The shooting occurred late Thursday night and left people wounded. The shooter used an assault type weapon, according to the nytimes.com. Garry McCarthy, the Chicago police superintendent, said, “A military-grade weapon on the streets of Chicago is simply unacceptable.” No arrests have been made in this case, and all of the victims will make a full recovery. Areas plagued by shootings in Chicago have received more security, and more officers have been placed to patrol the areas that have a shooting rate. McCarthy said, “Every time something happens, we suffer a setback, the truth is, we’re doing better. The fact is, we have a long way to go.”

The war on gun control is a very hot debate on whether our government should be allowed to take away our freedom to purchase firearms, or even put heavy restrictions on the purchasing of them. In the wake of these two shootings, we can bet to see the issue of gun control come back into the media with full force. Whether there will be a definite answer this time, who’s to say, but with the increased amount of gun violence, something must be done to those abusing the power.