What Happened to the Good Cartoons?

the rugrats

Being 90s children, we all grew up watching pretty decent cartoons, but the cartoons of today seem like they’re running on a downward spiral.

I enjoyed watching the old cartoons, like “Courage the Cowardly Dog,” “Rugrats,” “The Wild Thornberries” and of course, the true classics like “Tom and Jerry,” “Scooby Doo” or “Popeye.” It was an enjoyable part of my day to sit down and watch cartoons when I was young.

As the years went on, new cartoons came out, some good, some bad. I still enjoyed watching a few of them, like “Danny Phantom,” but even then, I was bothered by some of the new cartoons coming out. Now, as I look at the trailers for these new cartoons, such as “Uncle Grandpa” or “The Amazing World of Gumball,” I’m very bothered by them.

Compared to the older cartoons, taking “Tom and Jerry” for example, it looks like the new cartoon worlds were designed by people on crack. These cartoons talk to children like they’re dumb, and I honestly feel like people will lose brain cells from watching these kinds of cartoons. Like “Uncle Grandpa,” the advertisement says that he’s everyone’s uncle and grandpa. What?

If you look at “Tom and Jerry,” it’s a simple cartoon: A cat trying to catch a mouse, and the mouse usually outsmarting him in some clever way. It may have been the same plot again and again, but it was done in a simple and entertaining way. With “Scooby Doo,” it encouraged children to follow the clues and guess who the man under the mask was.

The cartoons of today’s age have become more complex, and in trying to be so complex while keeping the children entertained, it almost borderlines on stupid. I also think some of these products are the desperate ideas of cartoonists trying to stay alive so they can keep putting out new shows.

I call that we go back to the simple days of cartoons. “Tom and Jerry” (the old version, not the new one) still plays for roughly an hour each day, and it’s always something nice and simple to watch. There’s nothing wrong with the simple ideas as long as they’re executed well. So please, just keep it simple.