Celebration of International Women’s Day

At the beginning of March, Sigma Delta Pi, a national spanish honor society, held an event in celebration of International Women’s Day. The event was about, “Hispanic Women in Powerful Roles: Inspiring and Innovation Society”. The event started off with the decorating of the SPEC and the preparation of the presentations given by the members of Sigma Delta Pi. The members that took part in organizing and participating at the event were Olivia Heisner, Maja Fidanovski, Katie Mulderink, Eric Du, Jamie Kowalszyk, Jonathan Cruz, Melissa Gillis and Hailee Peck. Their very active advisor is Dr. Elizabeth Amaya and she oversaw many of the night’s events, while making sure everything went smoothly for everyone.

Throughout the night there were  many inspirational presentations. Many of which included women who have made great improvements in the world in categories such as women activists, women in politics and women in literature. Those women included Dolores Huerta, Dilma Rousseff, Laura Chinchilla, Cristina Fernandez de Argentina, Josefina Vázquez Mota and Gabriela Mistral. These women range from labor leaders to presidents of their country and Nobel Prize winners. Many of these achievements by these women took a lot of courage and perseverance. These were two characteristics that they needed in order to preserver in the conditions they grew up in. Some of those conditions tested their very character due to the treacherous conditions some of them had to conquer to become what they are today. It says something when a person accomplishes something, but for these women to accomplish what they did, it speaks volumes.
Around the middle part of the night, there was many spanish foods available for those who were in attendance to enjoy. Those that came to support the event ranged from professors, students, spanish major and minors and community members. The authentic feeling to the event made the night even more enjoyable and thoughtful in terms of relating to the events topic. Overall, the event was top notch and provided insight to many inspiring women who have made a difference in the world due to their courage and want to make a difference.