Women’s Basketball Falls in Second Round of NCAA Tournament

The Millikin Women’s Basketball team’s season has officially ended.

The team got an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament last weekend after losing to Carroll University in the semifinals of the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW) tournament. They played Willamette University in the first round on Friday, March 1, and won 91-83. They then played the host, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, the next day and lost 65-89.

Senior guard Elyce Knudsen led the Big Blue in the tournament with 66 points across the two games. She ended the season with 799 points, a new Millikin scoring record for points in a season, finishing her career with a total of 2,310 points, another Big Blue record. She averaged 26.6 points per game, a career high. She led the conference in scoring and was second in the nation in ppg. She ended her career as the top active scorer in Division 3 women’s basketball. 

Knudsen’s two 30-point games at the tournament gives her ten 30 points plus performances this season and yet another school record. Her other school records include field goals in a season with 301 and field goals in a career at 899. Bailey Coffman finishes her career seventh on Millikin’s all-time scoring list with 1,443 points in 113 games.

The team finished an impressive season as third in the CCIW and 20th in the latest national poll by D3Hoops.com. They ended with a record of 23-6, 13-3 in conference. The team graduates out some key players like the All-American Knudsen, graduate student and all-conference selection Bailey Coffman, and another all-conference selection Sophie Darden. Darden led the CCIW in rebounds, averaging 9.2 per game. Millikin’s 83.7 average scoring ends at second in the nation with average points. 

UW-Whitewater advanced to the sweet sixteen with this win and went all the way to the elite eight before falling to Transylvania University. The semifinals and national championship games will happen on March 15 and 16 in Columbus, Ohio.