Elyce Breaks the Record

Knudsen Becomes the All Time Scoring Leader for the Big Blue Women’s Basketball Team

On Saturday, January 27, Senior Guard Elyce Knudsen cemented herself in the Millikin history books. Since her freshman year, she had been making waves in the conference and in the nation as a phenomenal basketball player. 

Her accolades are overwhelming, including but not limited to: two-time first team all American, all America honorable mention, Central Region rookie of the year, CCIW Newcomer of the Year, Two-time CCIW Player of the Year, First Team All-America, National Player of the Week, 12-Time CCIW Player of the Week, and the 2023 Jostens trophy winner, which recognizes the top player in Division 3 basketball. To top off her impressive resume, she now has 2,098 points, shattering the previous record of 2,017. 

Elyce is not just one of the best basketball players in program history, but a stellar human as well. She has excelled off the court, majoring in finance and holding a 3.9 GPA. She volunteers around the Decatur area, reading books to kids in local schools, training young basketball players, and helping out at Macon Resources, Inc., working with special needs adults and children.

When asked about her record-breaking career, Elyce spoke with gratitude to the program and her teammates. “I wouldn’t be in the position that I am today without the leadership and guidance from my teammates,” she said. “It’s been a great experience sharing so many seasons with such a great group of women and leaders.”

The record was previously held by Lindsay Ippel, who played from 2004-2008, and was a part of the 2005 national championship-winning team. Aside from Elyce, Ippel is the only other Millikin Women’s Basketball player that has ever surpassed 2,000 career points.

Knudsen has expressed nothing but excitement and hope for the future. Her advice to future generations is simple. “Dream big! No dream is ever too big, especially when you surround yourself with those that believe you can achieve whatever you put your mind to!”