Blue Smoke

Millikin may not have superb track facilities, but the team continues to strive to be the best in the conditions they train in, shattering several records in the last year alone. But looking at the track team, it’s not hard to see that they have something special. They are single handedly, along with the cross country team, attempting to make a name for Millikin, literally.

The name is known as the Blue Smoke. according to Dustin Roth, a senior on both the track and cross country teams, said that this name has been going down the lines for both the cross country and track teams for a while now.

“I do not know where or when it originated, but I do know of how it originated,” Roth said. “It originated from runners leaving their opponents in the dust, but instead of dust they called it Blue Smoke.”

Although this name is nothing new, the cross country and track teams are now trying to take it to a whole new level. Roth has taken it upon himself to make a chant for Blue Smoke. The chant goes “Blue (yeah) Smoke (what) Blue (yeah) Smoke (what) Blue (yeah) Smoke (what) BLUE SMMMOOOKE!”

“I just recently introduced this chant to the team with my co-captain, Dimitri Dunner, and it sounded awesome,” Roth said. “My goal is for this chant to catch on with other students and athletes on campus, but more than that I want Blue Smoke in general to catch on both on-campus and in our conference. I want other teams to hear Blue Smoke and think Millikin.”

When asked if Blue Smoke is an attempt at a mascot, Roth responded with, “I hadn’t even thought about that. I mean we don’t have a mascot, and I’m not looking to make this our mascot, but I definitely want it to be recognizable. If it became something more and becomes something that Millikin is known for, I wouldn’t be against it. That would be awesome!”

Millikin should prepare itself for Blue Smoke because it’s coming. The track and cross country teams have been calling themselves Blue Smoke for a while now and they wish it to spread to the community.