At The Movies with Kyline Humm: Real Steel

Rating 4 out of 5

With a stubborn attitude, yet determined mindset, Hugh Jackman has a stellar performance in “Real Steel.”

Set in the somewhat near future, Charlie Kenton (Jackman) was a top performer in boxing, ranking number two in the world, until the game of boxing took a turn towards the extreme; fighting with robots instead of men.

The game became tougher and the casualties increased now that humans were fighting through their robots. As Charlie entered this new world of fighting, he wasn’t as lucky fighting with a robot, and soon, he was deep in a hole he could n’t get out of.

Then one day, he discovers he has an 11 year old son after his ex passes away. Up and coming actor, Dakota Goyo, plays Jackman’s son, Max Kenton, and Evangeline Lilly plays Jackman’s love interest, Bailey Tallet, during the film.

As Charlie is deciding what to do with his son, he and Max go to a scrap yard to find new parts for Charlie’s robot since it was destroyed in a fight. There, they find an old generation robot named Atom, and Max take on the task of restoring him.

While Max wants Atom to fight, Charlie doesn’t believe he will last a round. However, Charlie is surprised not only that he lasted the round, but that he ended up winning his first fight. Since Max is inexperienced in boxing, he decides he wants his dad to teach Atom how to fight since he knows the game inside and out. With Max’s determination, he shows Charlie that Atom has what it takes to win it all.

Together, the father and son pair unexpectedly find a commonality and work together to not only win in a sport that has no room for “the old,” but to make up for the years they lost together. This interesting new era film gets a rating of four out of five because of the special effects and the storyline. Not many films like this make it in the industry, but it was well written and, of course, it has Hugh Jackman.

Overall, I really liked the film as it was interesting and action packed, and I highly recommend it to sports goers as it takes an interesting spin to our traditional sport of boxing.