At the Movies with Kyline Humm: We Are Marshall

8 out of 10 stars

We are Marshall. This film was dedicated to the true story of the Marshall University football team and some of its fans, due to a plane crash that took the lives of most of its team and some of its fans as well. It left only a few members of the program behind and left the football community and especially the small knit community of Marshall in disarray. With doubts about ever having another football team, the new head coach has to take the teams few surviving players and make the community and university believe again in its program that was ever so loved by many.

It is a hard year of rebuilding, recruiting, and it is paralleled with doubts about ever having the football team continue. The main characters are played by super stars Matthew McConaughey, Matthew Fox and Anthony Mackie. This is a different kind of role for Matthew McConaughey, but he preforms brilliantly while portraying the new head coach of Marshall’s football team. This film is a sports and drama based screen plot written by Jamie Linden and Cory Helms, and was released in 2006.

Critics on IMDb rated this movie a 7 out of 10 and I give it an 8 out of 10. Although this film is a moving film that revolves around the story line of rebuilding a team and community, it is more about the overall tragic life that happens everyday and the overall storyline of how people rebuild after tragic incidents.

I happened to get this movie for one of my birthdays and went on to make it one of my sports favorites after viewing because it was touching, emotional, and motivating to myself and many friends who watched it with me. It falls along the lines of Glory road, Coach Carter, Remember the Titans, and Forever Strong and if you are looking for another movie that portrays drama, sports, perseverance, and a touching victory, then this movie, We are Marshall, is for you.