New faces for Millikin’s football team

Listening to the roar of the people and gazing upon the worn field, fans might think that they are seeing a battlefield. They are actually being thrown into the world of football. There are many new things that excite young, fresh college athletes as they move from the world of Friday night lights to Saturday afternoon glory. There is something about hitting that field Saturday afternoon looking for a win, and celebrating on Sunday that is rivaled by nothing else.

Four new players are looking forward to that new experience. Joining a new team can be very daunting, but four young players from Millikin’s very own Big Blue are up to the task. Freshman defensive end (DE), Travis Goveia states that he is excited by just, “being given the opportunity to play in the first place.”

A lot comes with the territory of playing football at a college level. Players are expected to manage football, academics, and any extra-curricular activities they are involved with the minute they step foot on the field. The football players moved to campus on Aug. 14 and have been practicing since. For most of this freshman class, their college experience started the day they threw on the pads and began to run, run and run some more.

Freshman linebacker (LB), Matt Madrigal, says that, “the hardest adjustment for me has been the game speed.”

Matt is not the only player to have said this. Freshman defensive back (DB), Bemajedareki Williams says, “although the pace is much quicker, moving from home has been the biggest challenge for me. Back in high school, I knew everybody. Here, I know like two people.” All of the football players have been working hard since they have arrived on campus and the players are ready for the season to begin. Freshman wide receiver (WR), Avantae Meriweather says, “the freshman class is looking pretty good.” Bemajedareki Williams mentions, “I am really excited for the season to start. It’s a higher level and I get to learn more and more every day. I have more responsibilities and I’m excited for every game this season.” When asked what his favorite part about football was, Travis Goveia responded, “Honestly, it’s just the love of the game. There’s something special about going out to practice and playing in games and just having fun.” Avantae Meriweather says that his favorite part about football is “having teammates to share victories and hard times with.” All of these players are excited and ready for the season to get underway. The first football game of the season will be at home Saturday, September 7at 1pm. Your Big Blue football team will be playing to win and they are going to be hitting the ground running.