Baseball and Special Olympics

What seems to be turning into a tradition is also turning into a huge hit. Millikin University’s baseball team has started a tradition of teaming up with the local district Special Olympians for a day of baseball activities. This year’s Baseball and Special Olympians Day occurred on April 17. Due to the weather, the event was held in Griswold Gym.

The men’s head baseball coach, Josh Manning, helped lead a lot of the events for the day and opened up the activities with the Special Olympians once they arrived. He led the opening stretching and got everyone warmed up in time for the main activities. After stretching, the baseball team and Olympians got into throwing lines and warmed up their arms by throwing to the baseball team across the gym. The Olympians then paired up with the baseball men and started hitting baseballs off of the hitting tees as well.

Many Millikin employees and coaches attended came out to show their support. Even other athletes from other teams came out.

Huge supporters included employees from Student Development and the Office of Residence Life. Blake Reynolds, the traditional halls coordinator, said, “Hopefully we have some more Big Blue fans after this event.”

The main attraction of the night had the Special Olympians running from third to home.
Guests set up in a line behind third base and waited for their names to be called and for their chance to score at home base. As the Special Olympians geared up to run the straight away towards home base, the men’s baseball team lined up to cheer on the runners and the crowd burst into applause.

For the Special Olympians, this was the highlight of their night. They enjoyed it so much and were so thrilled to be given this opportunity to hang out with Millikin athletes and receive the chance to score a winning run.

Once the athletes ran across the home plate, Manning handed each one of them a team signed baseball and shook their hand.

Bob Kuhlann, a Special Olympian, said, “I liked it. My favorite part was that I got to slide into home.”

In the end, this was an event that touched the hearts of not only Millikin’s athletics, but the community as a whole. It gave the Special Olympians an opportunity to be part of an amazing opportunity.

Make sure to join the festivities and support the Big Blue and Special Olympian partnership next year.