Men’s Golf: The Importance of Learning from Others

The importance of learning from others is critical in the sporting world. Many athletes have shared their wisdom with others who are learning their sport, and it has paid off for many athletes. It does not hurt to learn from others or learn what you need from those who have already been through it all in order to give yourself a leg up against all competition.
This is what has happened with Millikin University’s Men’s Golf Team. They were able to learn from a professional and keep something as a constant reminder of what it takes to be a successful athlete.

The Men’s Golf team was able to get a copy of a book from a former PGA golfer. Head Men’s Golf Coach Sam Osborne was able to get in touch with Jackie Burke, a former PGA golfer. Jackie had written a book named, “It’s Only a Game: Words of Wisdom from a Lifetime in Golf” in 2006. Once Osborne had gotten in contact with Burke, Burke sent everyone on the team the book and signed each one. To have a close connection with a former professional athlete in any field of sport is a good asset to have because it gives you what can be considered an “insider’s advantage.”

Jackie Burke Jr. has a total of 18 professional wins. His most notable wins include: two majors – the 1956 Masters and PGA Championship – and the Vardon Trophy in 1952. He was also Player of the Year in 1956. He has also competed on the USA Ryder Cup team five times and has captained the team twice. Jackie was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2000, rewarded the PGA Tour Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003 and the Bobby Jones award in 2004. To say the least, Jackie has had a fantastic career in the sport of golf.

For a professional golfer such as Jackie to share his wisdom with the team, it can only improve the mental and physical aspect of the Millikin’s men’s team because they can learn and apply the changes that are necessary to achieve greatness. The Men’s team has had many successes these past few years, and with this extra benefit of a professional sharing his wisdoms and insight to the game, hopefully it can allow the team to apply what is learned to their golf game in order to take everything to the next level.