Behind the scenes with Coach Lester

There are many aspects of an athletic program that have to run smoothly in order for the program to be successful. Travel plans, video breakdown and practice schedules are only naming a few. For the Millikin University men’s basketball team, assistant coach Jon Lester is an important contributor to their success and to making sure these important things run smoothly.

Lester came to Millikin University from Eastern University in St. Davids, Penn. He served as assistant coach under current head coach of the Big Blue, Matt Nadelhoffer, at Eastern and chose to follow him here to the Big Blue. When asked why he chose to follow coach Nadelhoffer to Millikin University, Lester replied, “I am still trying to figure that out. I have a lot of friends and family in Philadelphia, and I did not know anyone here in Decatur when I arrived, but I believe in coach Nadelhoffer and his mission and vision. When people ask me the same thing, I know it was one of the best decisions of my life.”

It has shown throughout the seasons that due to Lester’s decision to assist at Millikin, there has been an improvement in the program. One of the reasons that the men’s basketball program is turning around in the right direction is because of the hard work and dedication from all the coaches. Lester’s position can be considered the “Logistics Man” in this situation. He takes care of many of important aspects that a program needs to be on top of in order to run smoothly. Some of the day-to-day operations that Lester takes care of are the video exchange between schools, scouting videos, breakdown of videos, travel arrangements, practice scheduling and working with some of the men in practice.

Lester’s coaching method is simple. It revolves around being serious enough that the players can come to him if they need to. Not only is Lester personable and easy to approach, but he also knows that the student-athletes on the team want to improve their game. Lester wants not only to teach the men on the team to win and be better basketball players, but to teach them to be individuals of character who will be successful at anything they put their minds to in the future.

Another goal for Lester is for the program to be a national contender overall. This includes placement in the conference playoffs. Goals always take hard work, determination and a continuing positive mindset. With Lester’s continual dedication to the program and behind the scenes work, the Big Blue should look forward to continual success throughout the future.