Athlete Spotlight: LeAnn Spesard

What is your major, sport and year in school?
Fitness and sport with a minor in nutrition/Track and Field- throw shot put, discus, hammer and weight/Senior.

What are your goals for senior year and upcoming outdoor season?
My goals are to become a national champion in the shot put.

What are some of your hobbies outside of school?
Showing cows and coaching.

How does it feel to be one of the best at the D3 level?
It’s an honor that I have been working for since I was a freshman in college and I am finally capitalizing on my abilities.

What did the track CCIW championship meet feel like for you while you were competing?
Being my last indoor CCIW championship I was a little nervous, but the nerves quickly subsided because I was there to do one thing and one thing only, win so once my event was over with I was able to enjoy my accomplishments and support my other teammates who were still competing.

What have you done to prepare for the CCIW this year?
Preparing for conference is just a small stepping stone for nationals but this season I have been more determined than ever because there is no next year for me so I have been hitting the weights hard and being focused in the ring and have been working with my coaches on perfecting my technique.

Who have been your biggest supporters and what advice do you have for other athletes?
My biggest supports are my family, especially my dad. He has supported me and my teammates at most of our meets and even flew out to California last spring to watch me at nationals.  I have also had a great support system from past and present track coaches and my teammates, which means the most to me. There is no greater feeling than stepping into the ring and having my teammates and fans cheer for me.
My advice for other athletes is to work hard because hard work will pay off, it may not be today or tomorrow but that day will come when you will excel, due to the hard-work you put in.  My advice for underclassmen is to forget about high school athletics because you start a clean slate when you come to college so you have to make a name for yourself all over again.

Is there anything else you would like to mention?
Well I did squat 500lbs this fall and I do love my dairy Cows!