Springing into baseball season

wallpapers.brothersoft.com

Coming into his twelfth season, Coach Manning holds high expectations for all of his players. New additions to the coaching staff include alumni players Andrew Agee and David Peters.  Agee and Peters served as role models and team leaders in the previous years and are expected to only offer more on the coaching staff through skills and experience. Millikin welcomes back 8 seniors: Logan Bolton, John Easter, Theo Facer, Kollin Haws, Joe Palazzlo, Jim Panozzo, Tim Parcel and Dan Weber. Losing two players and four seniors, Millikin welcomes back 26 returners, nine returning starters and they are bringing in ten talented freshmen.  Key returners for the Big Blue include Logan Bolton, Theo Facer, Kollin Haws, John Steele, Dan Weber and Evan West.  With numbers returning talent on hand, the Big Blue has utilized their off-season and preseason to prepare for one of the toughest NCAA DIII conferences in the nation.

“Our pre-season began in October when we started our weight training and workouts,” Weber said. “The offseason showed a higher level of commitment from the players than prior years. Once we got back from winter break and started picking up the ball it is clear to see that we are deeper and more experienced with our pitchers and that is going to be crucial if we want to be successful this year.”

Senior Easter added, “Hitters have been adjusting to live pitching and our pitching staff has been gaining stamina. The team has also been watching videos of themselves to identify weaknesses and make improvements.”

With these new implementations, the Big Blue set high goals of competing in every game, making the CCIW playoffs, and improving their record from last year’s 12-28 in season and 7-14 in the CCIW.  The Big Blue will step to bat on Feb. 24 against Westminister College in Fulton, Mo, to start their season.

“Feb. 24 is coming quick for all of us,” Easter said, “Preparation is something that you cannot take breaks from. We have trained in every way, including: weight training, sprints, swimming, yoga, scrimmaging in the fall and playing summer ball.”

Weber is preparing himself mentally and physically by, “not taking a single day for granted. With this being my last season as a college athlete I want to make the most of every day with my teammates and coaches. I am looking forward to this season and I want to soak as much of it up as possible with this great group of men.”

Cheer for him and the rest of the Big Blue Squad March 9 at 11 a.m. The game will be held on the Millikin Baseball home field held at Sunnyside Park, equipped with new dugouts, backstops and new fencing for the 2013 season.