Girl Scouts Take on Millikin

AC Carson
Troop 30 12

Millikin’s sweet tooth was satisfied when several girl scouts arrived at campus, selling the famous girl scout cookies that we all know and love.

These young girls smiled from ear to ear when greeting everyone and did not hold back when it came to expressing themselves, being full of personality and nonetheless, entertaining. All the girls were respectful, spoke professionally, boldly and with confidence while selling their cookies and while handling money for the cookies. Their tables were wonderfully set up with handmade signs, and vibrant colors which made it nice and inviting.

These Troops sold nine different flavors of cookies, two of those being fan favorites: Lemonades and Caramel Delights. Each of these cookies accommodated a wide variety of allergies and to the preferences of Millikin Students, faculty and all who passed through their tables. 

In the first Girl Scouts troop, there were two young ladies greeting everyone, with the help of two other women leaders. 

Abigail Smith, a Program Specialist with Girl Scouts of Central Illinois, said that they chose February 19, 2024, as a day to sell their cookies because it was a day off for DPS61 schools. With that being said, coming to Millikin was the perfect opportunity for them to catch some customers in which she said they had been making really good progress so far, as well as wanting to connect with other communities here in Decatur. 

The money raised from selling the Girl Scouts cookies would go directly back to these young girls and the rest of their crew to fund their overall Girl Scout mission, along with the funds going towards these troops being able to do other fun activities that they can all enjoy. 

I was also able to speak to Denisha Patrick of Decatur, Illinois who is a Parent Volunteer for the other Girl Scout Troop group, Troop 30 12, in which Troop 30 12 is new to the Girl Scout franchise and is in the works of making it even bigger. Troop 30 12 comes out of Montessori Academy of Peace. Selling cookies is not the only goal that this parent volunteer sees with these young girls. It is in a way, a stepping stone.

“We are teaching them to be girl bosses,” Patrick said. “They can own their own business and make sales.” 

Being at Millikin gives them a new scale and scenery to grow in their communication skills and sales skills, along with learning how to collaborate in teamwork and letting Millikin Students as well as others know who they are. 

As said before, Troop 30 12 is a new Girl Scout Troop, not even a year old yet. A goal of theirs just like the other Troop, is to use the proceedings from selling cookies to further the advancement of their troop. This includes making sure they have activities to do when they meet twice a week as well as having activities to do outside of their meeting times, along with making sure these Troops have snacks. Patrick also mentioned that the money gathered from selling the cookies is going to be going towards charities and to do more volunteer work. 

“We essentially want to use it to pour into them, so they can pour back into the community,” Patrick said.

Patrick ended by saying that she was very grateful for Millikin University giving the Girl Scouts Organization the opportunity to be on campus and that she looks forward to more adventures to come. 

To learn more about Girl Scouts or know of anyone interested in it, you can go to this website below:

Girl Scouts of the USA