Kemper Koslofski Looks to Help Revive Journalism at Millikin

The Decaturian Has a New Editor in Chief
The Decaturian’s new editor-in-chief: Kemper Koslofski

The Decaturian has appointed its next editor in chief: Kemper Koslofski. 

Millikin’s student-run newspaper will have a sophomore as its new, bushy-tailed head editor, along with plans to revamp the paper’s format and mode of delivery for its community. 

This large responsibility — and honor — will allow English major Koslofski to express his love of all things sports and his faith, while also providing an outlet for his passion of reviving the newspaper on campus. 

“I think Kemper will do a good job,” Dr. Scott Lambert, associate professor of journalism, said. “I think he wants to do a good job. He deserves this, and I think a desire and passion for journalism is important.”

And Kemper Koslofski has an abounding desire for journalism and passion for writing. 

“It’s really important to me,” Koslofski said. “The opportunity to be the head of an organization that I think is one of the most important on campus — even if others might not think so.” 

Koslofski knows that while journalism has taken a bit of a hit in the past few years, it’s still as important — if not more important — than ever. Especially on campus. 

While we often blame the infamous pandemic for a lot of its resulting effects on the world, in this case it’s the truth: the newspaper took a substantial hit regarding a lack of staff members, story content and even editors. Print editions are scarcely seen on campus, and the Decaturian’s website, Instagram and Facebook page are infrequently visited. 

But not for long. 

Former Editor in chief Carin Houser believes that Koslofski will thrive in this new position, even if the baton was handed to him sooner than he originally expected.

“I think he is going to be really, really good.” Houser said. “When I took over as editor, I was worried about the longevity of the Dec at the time.” 

Houser had taken up being editor in the midst of COVID-19, and being an English education major at the time, it wasn’t her top priority. 

“Last year, I started looking at freshmen who were in writing, and then brought Kemper up as sports editor at the end of the year.” Houser said. 

Under that title, Koslofski indulged his undying love of sports reporting, something he has been doing since high school, and wrote many pieces on athletes and games for the newspaper. That, alongside writing about being a leader in FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), Koslofski has proven that he possesses both the leadership skills and drive necessary to succeed as the newspaper’s main editor. 

Communication is a vital component with any campus organization, and Koslofski has gone above and beyond with coordinating schedules with staff members, assigning roles or stories, and making an effort to reach a larger audience via a scheduled newsletter or posting stories to social media. 

“The more people we can connect to, the greater impact we will have.” Koslofski said. “And the more people we have, the more that will be impacted.” 

Anyone — regardless of previous writing background, or lack thereof — artist, writer, wannabe journalist, etc., is welcome to join the Decaturian staff. All are welcome, and all voices are needed for proper discourse and representation on campus. 

“The Dec is a wonderful publication.” Lambert said. “It needs to be the voice of the Millikin student. And right now, I think Millikin students need a voice now more than ever.”