Big Blue Volleyball takes on Europe

Big Blue Volleyball takes on Europe

The Millikin Women’s Volleyball team headed to Europe over winter break for some exciting matches and once-in-a-lifetime sightseeing, leaving their mark globally.

From January 3rd to January 15th, they traveled all over Italy, and stopped in Paris before making their way back to the states. Some of the places they visited were Rome, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence, Lucca, and Pisa. 

The volleyball program goes on this big trip every four years. They played four matches against European teams, and some of the girls expressed how different it was to play overseas. 

“They were crazy good,” sophomore Hope Self said about the teams they played against. “They were super tall and really good at what they did. We were talking to some of them after the games, and they said they were going pro.”

The team was on the move in Europe. 

“We walked anywhere from 12,000 to 20,000 steps a day. It was exhausting, but in a good way,” junior Allie McPherson said. 

The team managed to see so many historical landmarks in less than a two-week period. The Eiffel Tower was a favorite for many of the girls. They visited at sunset and got to see the tower light up at night. 

“I wish we had more time in Paris. The Eiffel Tower was amazing, when it glowed it was really pretty,” Self said. 

Cinque Terre was another favorite for many people on the team. The movie Luca is based on that town, and many girls were excited to walk around and see the colorful town. The buildings are all vibrant colors, and it is located right by the ocean, creating a beautiful coastal town rich with culture. 

Some of the other landmarks the team saw were the Colosseum, the Louvre, the Leaning tower of Pisa, the statue of David, the Trevi fountain, and too many more to list.

McPherson expressed her gratitude for the experience. “It was a great trip. I’m so glad I got to experience it at just 20 years old.” 

Although their regular season is over, the volleyball team will host a spring scrimmage on April 20th in the Griswold gym. They will officially be back in action in the fall, looking to build off of a successful season with a majority of their major contributors returning next year.