Millikin Breaks Ground on Athletic Facility

Photo courtesy of Melinda Potter.

Members of the board of trustees, President Jim Reynolds, and the lead donor for the new athletic facility had a ceremonial groundbreaking event on Friday, September 19th, 2023. 

The new facility, named the David J. and Debra C. Rathje Athletic Center is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2024. 

According to Reynolds, the facility has been funded entirely by donors. 

“I feel good about the fact that we’re not taking on any debt,” Reynolds said, “I was really pleased with the response that we had from our alumni,” 

In addition to the construction of the facility being fully funded, a direct drawdown fund to maintain the building after its completion has also been established. 

“There will be no impact to our operating budget from those buildings,” Reynolds said.

In addition to the added space for athletes, the facility will also feature multiple gender neutral bathrooms, multiple team rooms, a conference room, and office spaces for coaches of all sports. 

Anyone who may be interested in donating to the facility can still do so at:https://millikin.edu/about/alumni-friends/giving-opportunities/capital-projects/athletic-facilities-expansion-and