The Class of 2027 Arrives to Campus

August 21, 2023, marks the start of a new school year for the class of 2023 here at Millikin University. During this year’s welcome week, students had the opportunity to get acclimated to campus, learn Millikin University traditions, and form bonds and friendships that can last a lifetime.

Layla Walker is an Art therapy major, and a proud member of both the Swim and Triathlon teams. Walker is from North Ogden, Utah, which is a ‘brief’ 19 hour and 41-minute car drive (1,353.5 miles) via I-80 W. According to Google, it would take 129 hours for Walker to bike home. 

Walker describes her first few weeks at Millikin as “eventful, happy, and new.” Walker has met an amazing group of friends. One of her favorite memories so far has been dancing the night away at this year’s Silent Headphone Disco during Welcome Week.

College is the time to explore and learn new things, which is why Walker chose to take a class in Psychology. “This is one of my favorite classes because I have learned to really like the content and my professor, [Professor] Garlitch,” Walker said. 

Aiden Pacunas is on Millikin’s Track and Cross-Country teams, and a nursing major. Pacunas is from the state of Illinois. Although there are many great activities to experience here on campus, Pacunas said his biggest challenge is balancing the possibilities for fun with getting enough rest. Pacunas said he has been “exhausted and tires easily,”

Considering the fact that he is an athlete majoring in nursing attending a great college, it takes a great deal of mental and physical energy to get through every single day. Pacunas loves all of the ways to eat potato’s, especially in the café.

“If there is one thing that the University Commons Dining Hall does right, it is anything made with potatoes.” Pacunas said. 

The class of 2027 launched into their college careers with an impressive few weeks – but the fun and learning is just getting started.