World News

William Barr Confirmed as Attorney General

Back to Article
Back to Article

World News

On Thursday February 14th, the Senate voted 54 to 45 to confirm President Trump’s nominee William Barr as the new Attorney General. Barr takes the position following the November resignation of Jeff Sessions. Barr had previously served as Attorney General under President George H.W. Bush.

Barr is taking over the position from acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker and will now oversee the Department of Justice and will also now oversee the Mueller probe into President Trump.

The vote on Barr saw him confirmed 54 to 45 with the votes mainly being along party lines with Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV) Doug Jones (D-AL) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) all voting in favor of Barr and Rand Paul (R-KY) being the sole Republican to vote against Barr. Many Senators have also shared their opinions on Barr’s Nomination

“Based on his own testimony, it is clear that Mr. Barr has fundamental problems with the Fourth Amendment, or at least its application to anything that the President might unilaterally decide involves national security,” Oregon Senator Ron Wyden said. “He believes that if the government determines that there is a threat, there’s no need to ask a judge for a warrant.” Ron Wyden (D-OR) told TechCrunch.

“Despite repeated questions and follow-up letters he failed to respond to, Bill Barr refused to commit to allowing the American people to see the full report submitted to him by Special Counsel Mueller. I consider that disqualifying. While I opposed Bill Barr’s nomination, it’s my hope that he’ll remember he is the people’s lawyer, not the president’s lawyer,” Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) said in a press conference.

“He is one of the most experienced nominees in history, having already served as Attorney General under President George H. W. Bush, with a career spanning various positions at the Justice Department, the Central Intelligence Agency, and the private sector. I look forward to working with the new Attorney General and feel confident he will serve the country faithfully.” Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) told TechCrunch in support of Barr.

During his nomination the topic of the Muller Probe was a large part of his nomination. On the topic of the Muller Probe Barr told the Senate “I believe it is in the best interest of everyone the President, Congress, and most importantly, the American people that this matter be resolved by allowing the Special Counsel to complete his work.

“The country needs a credible resolution of these issues. If confirmed, I will not permit partisan politics, personal interests, or any other improper consideration to interfere with this or any other investigation. I can assure that, where judgments are to be made by me, I will make those judgments based solely on the law and will let no personal, political, or other improper interests influence my decision. I have the utmost respect for Bob and his distinguished record of public service. When he was named special counsel, I said that his selection was ‘good news’ and that, knowing him, I had confidence he would handle the matter properly. I still have that confidence today.”

Barr also added “I will not be bullied into doing anything I think is wrong by anybody whether it be editorial boards or Congress or the president. I am going to do what I think is right.”

Following his confirmation several Republicans took to Twitter to express their support for Barr “Today is a great day for the Department of Justice with the confirmation of William Barr to be the next Attorney General.” Tweeted Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

“A major victory for justice and the rule of law in America: the Senate just confirmed President @realDonaldTrump’s outstanding nominee William Barr as Attorney General,” tweeted White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders.