LGBTQ Corner

Attorney General to Sweden

United States Attorney General Eric Holder made a speech to Swedish Parliament saying that LGBT rights are “the defining civil rights challenges of our time.” Sweden has been a long time human rights advocate. Holder hoped for the U.S. and Sweden to continue working towards civil rights and the end of discrimination.

“The fundamental truth that no matter where you live, who you love, or who you are — whether you’re a public servant or a businessperson; an educator, a scientist, or an athlete competing at the highest level and on a world stage — every human being is, and must be, free and equal in both dignity and rights,” Holder said.

Same-Sex marriage ban expected in Virginia

Virginia courts are arguing the large case of Bostic v. Rainey, in which two same-sex couples and the American Foundation for Equal Rights argue that Virginia’s ban on performing and recognizing same-sex marriages is against the 14th amendment of the U.S. constitution.

The two same-sex couples suing for their rights to be recognized in the courts have been together for longer than 20 years. One of the couples was married in California, but Virginia will not allow them to claim taxes and insurance together. Virginia’s new Attorney General has stated that he will not support Virginia’s marriage equality prohibition. He has joined the couples in their lawsuit in hopes to overturn the ban on same-sex marriage.

In response to the Attorney General, conservative lawmakers have proposed a bill that will allow lawmakers to hire attorneys to intervene in cases where elected officials failed to support state laws. Though this bill passed the Virginia House of Representatives, which is primarily Republican, it has a fair chance of being declined by the Democratic governor. The governor has also declined to defend the marriage ban.

Google makes a statement

Google kicked off the Olympics in style with the new image homepage featuring athletes across a rainbow banner with a quote from the Olympic charter. Google said the image is available worldwide, even in Russia.

Within the last year, Russia has banned “gay propaganda,” fining all advocates of gay rights. Russian president Vladimir Putin is quoted as saying gays are welcome as long as they “leave the kids alone.”

Google urges all Olympic sponsors to make a statement about Russia’s anti-gay law while the world is watching.