World News

Nelson Mandela dies at 95

Nelson Mandela died at the age of 95 on Thursday, Dec. 5. Mandela was known for leading the fight against Apartheid, the system of racial segregation in South Africa.

Mandela fought diligently for democracy and equal rights and spent 27 years in prison for his efforts. After his release in 1990 at age 71, Mandela continued his work for democracy and equal rights, shared the Nobel Peace Prize with the man who freed him in 1993, and won the presidency of South Africa in 1994. Mandela went on to meet with other world leaders and stay active in politics after his retirement from the presidency.

Mandela is survived by his wife and three children.

Mandela’s life and his achievements are being celebrated not only in South Africa, but around the world as we remember the determination and positive influence Mandela had.

Russian Diplomats scam Medicaid out of nearly 1.5 million dollars

Of the 49 people accused of fraud, only 11 diplomats and their spouses have remained in the United States to face trial. According to the USA Today, the diplomats had lied about the amount of money they were making and had been receiving payment from the program that is meant to aid the poor. The report also stated that they used their funds in order to take lavish vacations, go to concerts, and travel by helicopter. The Russian Deputy Foreign Minister is angered that the news of the crime was made public before being discussed with appropriate officials in private. The Deputy Foreign Minister has refused to make any further comments. It is alleged that the fraud has been ongoing since 2004. Those involved are being charged with conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud, conspiracy to steal government funds, and making false statements regarding healthcare matters.

France changes laws on prostitution

In a law which was passed 268 to 139, those who are caught attempting to buy sex can now be charged 1500 euros, the equivalent of 2000 U.S. dollars, while the law now no longer prosecutes the actual solicitation according Reuters. This move towards anti-prostitution comes from President Francois Hollande’s Socialist government the report goes on to state. The reform to the law is in hopes of stopping the human trafficking that is currently taking place in France. Reuters reports that nearly 90 percent of the 20,000 to 40,000 prostitutes in France are victims of human trafficking. While the law still waits to go to the Senate’s upper house, some French prostitutes are angered at the law. They fear the new law will hurt their business. France is refusing to take a more liberal attitude towards sex workers like other countries such as the Netherlands, Sweden and Germany, where sex workers are given benefits and pensions according to Reuters.