LGBTQ Corner

Russia’s gay propaganda ban declared constitutional
Russia’s nationwide ban cracking down on gay propaganda has been declared by the country’s high court that the bill does not violate that national constitution. Russia’s Constitutional Court determined that national lawmakers had a duty to protect children from information, propaganda and campaigns that could potentially harm their health and moral and spiritual development.

According to RIA Novosti, a state-sponsored news agency, the court ruled that the Russian Constitution obliged that state to protect motherhood, childhood and family. The LGBT ban accomplished this goal.

The high court also dismissed claims that the ban was discriminatory towards the LGBT community since heterosexual Russians might disseminate such propaganda. The exercise of civil rights and freedoms could not be permitted at the cost of other people’s rights.

Since the ban took effect over the summer, LGBT Russians, visitors and allies have been arrested, beaten and harassed. With the 2014 Winter Olympics being held in Sochi, Russia’s President, Vladimir Putin and other Olympic officials have promised that LGBT athletes and spectators will be safe during the games.

Israel set to grant same-sex couples adoption tax benefits
The Jewish state is ready to recognize some rights for same-sex couples. The Israeli parliament is set to provide equal tax treatment to same-sex couples, including gay men and women who adopt the same status as heterosexual parents. Even though gay parents will have the parent-child relationship recognized under tax codes, there is still no recognition of domestic partnership or marriage between the two adults.

There are numerous hardline conservatives who oppose the bill and refuse to acknowledge same-sex couples in any way. According to “The Jerusalem Post,” these individuals say this bill will give gay parents greater rights than heterosexual ones. Gay couples could choose which parent would receive a tax break whereas straight couples could not.

Utah’s gay marriage ban challenged
Last Wednesday, a Utah federal judge listened to arguments presented by three gay couples who are challenging the state’s same-sex marriage ban. Even though there are 46 similar court cases in regards to gay marriage bans in 22 states, Utah’s case is one that is being closely watched around the country.

Utah has a history of being strongly opposed to gays and lesbians marrying. In addition, Utah is the home to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the members of which believe homosexual activity is a sin and are widely recognized for their efforts in helping California pass its anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment. In 2004, Utah was one of the first states to pass a state amendment banning gay marriage.

According to the “Huffington Post,” Jon Davidson, director of Lambda Legal said, “Utah has a particularly symbolic position in the history of the struggle of same-sex couples to be able to marry.”

State attorneys are defending the state’s amendment by saying it promotes the state’s interest in responsible procreation and the optimal mode of child-rearing. Lawyers fighting for the same-sex couples argue that choosing a marriage partner is a fundamental right and liberty issue that is protected by the U.S. Constitution. They also say the 2004 amendment is discriminatory against LGBT couples.