LGBT Corner

Employment Non-Discrimination Act passes Senate

For the first time in history, the U.S. Senate approved a bill outlawing discrimination in the workplace due to someone’s sexual orientation or gender identity. By a bipartisan vote of 64-32, the legislation is now headed to the House of Representatives. 52 Democratic Senators voted in favor of the bill, as did two Independents and 10 Republicans. An even bigger surprise was that John McCain and Jeff Flake, both of Arizona, voted yes. The debate came to a close last Thursday. President Barack Obama said in statement published by CNN saying, “One party in one house of Congress should not stand in the way of millions of American who want to go to work each day and simply be judged by the job they do. Now is the time to end this kind of discrimination in the workplace, not enable it. I urge the House Republican leadership to bring this bill to the floor for a vote and send it to my desk so I can sign it into law.” The legislation would prove the same protections and rights for LGBT workers as are already guaranteed on the basis of race, gender and religion. The Employment Non-Discrimination Act was first introduced to Congress in 1994.

LGBT Activists angry with Obama

Recently, numerous LGBT activists are blasting President Barack Obama, saying his leadership has failed. He has the ability to do a lot more.

As reported by “The Washington Times,” Freedom to Work founder Tico Almeida said, “Obama has provided years of underwhelming leadership in the fight against LGBT workplace discrimination. He should move beyond these mere words and take long overdue action to protect LGBT Americans from harassment and discrimination at the corporations that profit from federal funds.”

Showdown in Australia

Next month, Australia’s Capital Territory is set to have same-sex marriage recognized, but the federal government is trying to stop them.

The district passed legislation last month to legalize gay marriage, but the country has a federal Marriage Act which defines marriage between a man and woman. The federal government is now currently challenging the Capital Territory’s marriage equality bill in High Court.

Other districts such as New South Wales and Tasmania are also moving toward marriage equality. The nation’s prime minister, Tony Abbott, has declared himself as a traditionalist against gay marriage even though his sister is a lesbian and an outspoken advocate for LGBT rights.