World News

Winner of 2013 Nobel Peace Prize

The winner of the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize is The Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW). According to abcnews.com, the organization was awarded the prize for their work in trying to completely eliminate the use of chemical weapons. They go on to report the organization has been around since 1997, and they are working in Syria to uncover chemical weapons and destroy them before they can be used. The committee stressed in a tweet, “OPCW has NOT been given the #NobelPeacePrize because of Syria but because of its long standing work.”

Malala Yousafzai misses Nobel Prize, still inspires

Malala Yousafzai, 16, is known for her campaigning for young girls’ education in Pakistan and was shot by the Taliban for her efforts. She has already won a series of awards for her courageous efforts to support equal education, but the 2013 Nobel Peace Prize as expected. Yousafzai was something of a crowd favorite to win the prize throughout her own country and across the globe. While she didn’t win this year’s prize, she has, more importantly, left a mark on her country and her fellow women. Young girls, both Malala’s age and younger have picked up the support effort, inspired by her efforts and the courageousness she demonstrated in continuing her efforts after her near-death experience, world.time.com reports. Education and the desire to learn are on the rise in Pakistan among young women. While she missed the prize, the world celebrates how her efforts have had a much larger impact on her fellow young women in Pakistan and will continue to inspire others.

Nazi War Criminal Dead

Erich Priebke died in Italy at the age of 100 on Oct. 11. The former Nazi SS Captain had escaped imprisonment for almost 50 years by fleeing to Argentina. He wasn’t caught until 1995 and sent back to Italy. Priebke was charged for his part in a 1944 massacre. While he was sentenced to 100 years in prison, Priebke served his sentence out on house arrest, staying at his lawyer’s home in Italy. The 1944
massacre was retaliation against an Allied attack that left 33 members of the Nazi military police dead according to chron.com. The 1944 massacre resulted in 335 victims, but Priebke admitted to only killing two people, and says he was just following the orders handed down to him.

Deadline for terms fast approaching

The deadline for a deal to be made to keep a small amount of troops in Afghanistan is drawing near a close. According to original agreement between President Obama and Afghanistan’s President Hamid Karzai, a deal had to be made by Oct. 31; if a deal was not made by then, then the United States would withdraw all of their troops from Afghanistan by the end of 2014. The relationship between Afghanistan and the U.S. still remains rocky and is preventing any set terms from being laid down. The White House is ready to cut ties with Afghanistan and focus their efforts in more serious places despite the cries from the Pentagon to just wait a little longer, according to washingtonpost.com. Only time will tell what is to be done.