World News

Boat Sinks off the Coast of Italy
According to bbc.co.uk., a boat of some 500 migrants from Misrata, Libya sank off of the coast of Italian island Lampedusa when the motor on the boat stalled and it began to take on water. Reports say some 130 African migrants have lost their lives and there are still 200 missing migrants. It is also believed that in an effort to signal to other boats, the passengers began burning a small piece of material that caught the rest of the boat on fire. The panicked migrants trying to escape the fire caused the boat to flip over. Most of the migrants were unable to swim and according to a BBC interview only six of the 100 women to go into the water survived.

Demonstration in Cairo leads to death
Supporters of the recently removed President Mohammed Morsi led a march into Tahrir Square where they were met by security forces who used tear gas and gunfire to break up the protest, the BBC reports. The struggle between the supporters and security forces left four people dead and some 40 injured according to their report. A new curfew has been enforced.

Vietnamese General Vo Nguyen Giap Dead
The nytimes.com reports that General Vo Nguyen Giap, an instrumental force in the Vietnamese War, died on Oct. 4. He was around the age of 102. Giap was known for his part in the Vietnam war for driving both France and the U.S. out of Vietnam. He was a very powerful force in the war and was mentored by Ho Chi Minh. As the nytimes.com reports, he was driving force behind why the war lasted as long as it did, and was reported to have been just as brutal to his own forces as he was to his enemies.

British mother sentenced to 15 years in prison
The alcoholic mother who starved her four year old son to death and then left his body rolled up in a cot in 2009 has received a 15 year prison sentence according to abcnews.com. The mother admitted to neglect of five of her other children. She was convicted of manslaughter. The woman’s oldest son was given a two year suspended sentence for preventing the body of the young boy from being laid to rest, abcnews.com also reports.

Cleric in Kenya is killed
A popular cleric in the city of Mombasa was shot and killed on Oct. 3. The mosque at which Ibrahim Omar preached at is believed to have had past ties with Islamist militants according to time.com. Widespread panic has gripped this nation that has already seen so much unrest in the past months. This assassination follows the recent terrorist attack on a popular mall which took the lives of some 60 people.

Battling Rebel Groups in Northern Syria
Militants from al-Qaida fought with Kurdish gunmen in towns on the border of Turkey in Northern
Syria on Oct.4., according to suntimes.com reports. It is believed 19 people have lost their lives
in this most recent skirmish of rebel battles in Syria.
Pakistani girl given another award
Malala Yousafzai, 16, the young Pakistani woman who was shot by the Taliban for campaigning
for education for girls, has been awarded the RAW in WAR Anna Politkovskaya Award. This
award honors a Russian investigative journalist who was shot and killed 7 years ago. Malala is
also a favorite for the Nobel Peace Prize, globalpost.com reports.