Networking at the Alumni House

Alumni+House
Ruby Porter

The Alumni House and Career Center provide Millikin students with numerous opportunities to make connections in our career fields. Networking, the interaction between professionals, gives students the opportunity to meet Millikin Alumni and see what their chosen fields have to offer them in the future.

Each year, the Alumni House and Career Center hold a speed-networking event. At this event, ambitious students can come to meet Alumni and give their elevator speech. An elevator speech is a short sales pitch on yourself, intended to tell the alumni, or future boss, who you are and what you bring to the table. Learning how to give an elevator speech is important because it helps to prepare for interviews, and a good one can land you the perfect internship or job. This year, the speed-networking event will be taking place in the spring semester, hopefully around February or March. This year they are hoping to make the event a little less chaotic by making it more similar to speed dating.

Also offered to students in an online mentoring network. This network is specific to Millikin and caters to all professional studies offered here at Millikin. This mentoring network is important for students to use professionally to make connections. Mentors can be used to give advice in the career field, review resumes, and help students be more comfortable with reaching out in the field. It is also possible to have more than one mentor through this program. Each mentor has something different to offer, so you shouldn’t be afraid to make the connection. Senior Elia Pepps says that it is “important to build these relationships, [since] they are incredibly valuable” and has had more than one mentor throughout her time at Millikin. She also says that this program has made networking “accessible to students [so] they don’t have to travel to network, they can do it in the comfort of their own home.” The mentoring network can be found by accessing
College Central Network, the same place you’d go to find on-campus jobs, and then clicking “connect with a mentor.”