Be Honest, Abe

Ruby Porter

The Abraham Lincoln Statue in front of Shilling hall has become one of the most well know symbols on campus. In fact, there is quite a
long history involving our beloved Lincoln and the town of Decatur. In 1830, at the age of 21, Lincoln came to Macon County to help his father build a cabin less than eight miles away from what is now Millikin’s Campus. He gave his first famous political speech in
downtown Decatur’s Lincoln Square a few years after his first visit. His last stop in Decatur was on his way to Washington D.C. to his
inauguration as president. This is when he shook hands with a big-time supporter and our founder, James Millikin.

Honest Abe came to reside on Millikin’s campus on Oct. 24, 1948. It was a bit of a struggle to get him here, but finally, Millikin would be
home to Lincoln. In 1947, a $25,000 appropriation for a Lincoln memorial was passed in Macon County. Articles were written in the
papers for suggested locations for the memorial, including in front of the Decatur library and locations in the various parks throughout the city. Millikin University president at the time, J. Walter Malone, personally asked the committee to put the statue on Millikin’s campus. The committee argued, but finally decided that, because the statue says “At 21 I came to Illinois,” it would be perfect in the presence of college students. They also felt that it was the perfect location because travelers who traveled the same road as Lincoln from Springfield to Decatur would pass right by Old Abe. Abe arrived on campus, weighing 4,000 pounds and measuring 8 feet tall, in September 1948 and would be dedicated as his official home in October.

Today, Abe stands strong to look over the students of Millikin University. To most students, the statue is an inspiration. Sophomore
Kelly Cailteux says that the statue is like a symbol of success and having a voice. “It shows us that we can have a voice in and we can be
successful no matter where we come from. Here at Millikin, they really emphasize that we can do anything, even if we are coming from a
small community.”

We have all been a bit curious about what is happening to Abe now as they are digging and laying brick around him. As a gift from
the graduating class of 2012, a patio and seating area are being built around the statue. Hopefully done before winter, students will be able to be more inspired by Honest Abe as they get to spend time with him on the new patio.