We’re All In This Together: Greek Week

Last week, Millikin’s Greek chapters came together to celebrate Greek Week, a week celebrating unity and achievements the organizations have accomplished in the previous semester. This year’s Greek Week theme was “No matter the letter, we’re in it together” to honor Greek unity. The events started Monday September 16th with relay races in the Quad where the Interfraternity men won. Tuesday was the Taste of Greek where the chapters painted a banner and learned to stroll, a dance that shows Greek pride. Wednesday was the Variety Show in Wornick Hall where chapters showed off their talents and performed different songs and skits. Delta Sigma Phi won the contest with their rendition of “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys with Pi Beta Phi being first-runner ups for their creative song on what exactly Big Blue is. Delta Delta Delta won second place for a conjoined dance routine and Alpha Kappa Alpha won third place for the evolution of dance in the 1900s. The week ended with a formal dance in the SPEC Thursday night to celebrate the success of the week.

From relay races to strolling, Greek Week succeeded in uniting not only Greek affiliated students, but also non-Greek affiliated students and faculty. “We want to give students the opportunity to see how Millikin Greek students follow the six pillars: brotherhood/sisterhood, service, scholarship, leadership, personal development, and diversity and inclusion. It also gives a great way of letting new members dive into Greek life on a positive note,” Alicia Gilbert said when asked what the purpose of Greek Week was. Was the week a success? Did it bring unity among the Millikin Greek chapters and community? Alicia Gilbert said, “Overall, it’s been a success. The purpose was never to be exclusive. We want to show [Millikin students] that we are about having fun, and you can come and have fun, even if you don’t have letters to share. It was beautiful to see the MU family joining together and just having fun. That was the highlight for me.”