Writing Center goes online

The Writing Center is going to be taking online submissions for appointments this year. Normally, students would have to email the writing center, and sometimes got double-booked. The new system’s database will create time slots for the writing center that will allow students to choose what time they’d like their appointment to be, but the only listed appointments will be the ones that are available. No double-booking! “IT has done a wonderful job. They designed the whole thing,” Judi Crowe said. Crowe manages the Writing Center. The new system will also send automated email reminders of Writing Center appointments. This way, students will easily be reminded of an appointment.

In order to access this feature, students should sign in to moonline. From there, choose the academics menu on the right side of the page. There should be a Writing Center icon with a feather pen and inkwell. Students will then fill out all of their information, and will get a reply soon from the database of their appointment date and time. The Writing Center’s hours are 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday nights. The Writing Center is close on Fridays and Saturdays. The Writing Center page on the Millikin website also has tools like an MLA and APA style guide for students to refer to when writing papers. The sign up link for appointments offers a list of tutor schedules as well.

Students should choose a 30 minute time slot for shorter papers, and an hour time slot for research papers or papers over seven pages. Students can only schedule up to one hour of Writing Center appointments per day.

The new system should be a great way to make signing up for appointments much easier. “It really does make making Writing Center appointments easy and quick,” Crowe said.