World News

Proposal made to Syria, delays U.S. military action

The U.S. has decided to ease up on the push for military action against Syria this week. The ease on the push for strike came when Russia made a proposal to Syria to cease all production on chemical weapons, and disclose their locations, CNN reports.

The while proposal to stop the production of chemical weapons has been made, Russia still believes the Syrian government should not have to take responsibility for the attack on the Aug. 21 attack on the suburbs just outside of Damascus, which killed over 1400 innocent people.

The Syrian government has agreed to the proposal in order to hold off an attack. They have agreed in statement made on state TV to inform the United Nations on the location of the weapons they have produced, and the locations of the weapons were manufactured. Russia is now in the motions to set a clear plan together before they take action in the proposal. Members of the White House, feel this may be a staling tactic for the Syria and their ally Russia, but the proposal of the disclosure of the whereabouts of these weapons, is a good enough reason to delay military attack on Syria. It has been made clear, however, the U.S. will not wait very long for a formal proposal to be made and implemented.

Four men in New Dehli are convicted of rape and murder

In December, a 23 year old woman and her male friend boarder a bus in New Dehli after seeing a movie. The bus was filled mostly with migrant men who had been heavily drinking that night. The men knocked the young woman’s friend unconscious, and took her to the back of the bus where they raped her, and at times used a metal rod in the process. The two victims were dropped off on the side of the road. The young woman died in the hospital two weeks after the attack on her life.

This case has opened up a series of rape cases in India, whether they are just now receiving more media coverage before, or if the amount of rape cases is on the rise, it is unknown at this time.

Protestors gathered outside of the courthouse on Tuesday, Sept. 10. Five men dressed in black wearing hoods had nooses around their necks, and a young woman held each one of the ropes, nytimes.com reported. They began to chant, “Hang the Rapists! Hang the Rapists! Hang the Juvenile. Hang the Juvenile.”

Rumors surround the case, such as the young woman was killed by her doctor, and this was a political crime, or that the lust of young woman’s companion had caused the gang rape in the first place.

It was announced on Sept. 11 the four men found guilty in the rape case have all been sentenced to death. The man who had been driving the bus at the time of the attack hung himself in a New Dehli prison with his bed sheet before he could stand trial.

Judge Yogesh Khanna, who handed the sentence, said, “In these times when crimes against women are on the rise, the court cannot turn a blind eye to this gruesome act.”