Millikin Secret Admirers

During last year’s spring semester, two twitter accounts were made, MUCrushes and MUConfessions. These accounts started out as harmless compliments to other students, but quickly escalated into inappropriate comments and were deactivated. Now, a new Facebook page called Millikin Secret Admirers has come to notice by the campus community.

“People that get bullied do not get the chance to hear the other side,” said MS Admirer, the creator of the page. “You always hear negativity from friends and in the news, so I wanted to show all the positive things that are going around as well.”

Millikin Secret Admirers was made on September eighth and has 245 followers as of the eleventh. Admirer has hopes that the entire campus will get involved with the page. There are further hopes that the positive messages being posted will reach further than Millikin and expand to families of students and faculty members as well. Admirer would like to be able to post three to five messages a day, but to do so will need people to become involved on the page. The Facebook page is intended to stay online for the duration of the time that Admirer is a student at Millikin. There are no intentions of taking the page down anytime soon.

Millikin Secret Admirers has students thinking about the conflict and conversations that MUCrushes and MUConfessions brought to the campus last school year. “I remember MUCrushes and Confessions getting rude and offensive at times,” said Christina Kruger, a sophomore vocal performance major. “[Millikin Secret Admirers] seems harmless, but I can see how it can get bad really quick,” said Joel Kimling, a freshman acting major. Some students are noticing potential in the page though.  “It’s more uplifting and not just random thoughtless comments,” said Josh Dixon, a junior sports management major.

According to Admirer, the page will not become inappropriate or offensive. The page will be kept at roughly a PG rating so everyone is respected. Admirer considers any sexual, explicit, or vulgar comments as inappropriate; even in a joking matter.  There have already been negative and inappropriate messages sent to page. These messages are seen, but do not get posted and are deleted right away. “If you wouldn’t say it if front of your grandma, it is not going on the page,” said Admirer. They plan to keep in good standing with the university so that the page will not be discouraged.

Admirer has no plans to reveal who they are anytime soon so that even their close friends can still participate in the page. “It is to be used to make everyone’s day a little better.”