LGBTQ Corner

Pat Brady joins marriage equality fight

Pat Brady, Illinois’s former Republican Party chairman, will begin working with the Illinois chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to rally other Republicans to back the pending same-sex marriage bill. Brady was forced out of his position as the Republican Party chairman due to his supportive stance on marriage equality earlier this year.

Brady and former Iowa Republican Party chairman Matt Strawn started a firm called Next Generation Affairs that focuses on public relations and governmental affairs.

Since the Illinois Senate passed same-sex marriage legislation earlier this year, the bill’s next step is to be approved within the Illinois House. Gov. Pat Quinn has agreed to sign the bill if it passes.

Chicago Lesbian & Gay International Film Festival returns

The Chicago Lesbian & Gay International Festival will be returning on Nov. 7 showcasing numerous LGBT films. Happening through Nov. 14, this year will be the festival’s 31st anniversary. Films will include international and national feature films, documentaries and shorts. Past hits include “August,” “Tomboy” and “Pariah.”

For tickets, information and chances to win VIP passes, visit ReelingFilmFestival.org.

Russia’s getting all up in your business
Russia’s so called “anti-gay” bill is being taken to a whole new level. The Russian government is now encouraging people to report their LGBT neighbors to the police.

Gay Star News has reported that a government notice allegedly says that any person who suspects that a neighbor or tenant disseminates “homosexual propaganda” should contact the police immediately. The notice also reads, “Increase your vigilance when you talk to your neighbors, when you are checking your mail and in the elevators. You can easily become a target of homosexual propaganda. There is one step from being homosexual and to start propaganda of homosexualism and molesting decent people.”

George Takei to receive leadership award
It has been announced by the National Gay and Lesbian Task force that the recipient for this year’s National Leadership Award will go to none other than “Star Trek” actor and LGBT advocate, George Takei.

Takei will receive the award on Nov. 9 at the 17th Annual Miami Recognition Dinner. The event honors individuals who have made contributions to the social, political, social and humanitarian needs of the LGBT community.

In a statement reported by the Associate Press, Takei said, “I am deeply honored to be recognized by this wonderful organization that has been fighting for LGBT equality for the past four decades. It is a privilege to be part of an event like the 17th Annual Miami Recognition Dinner that raises money for multiple organizations serving our community.”