Another opening, another convocation

Millikin University’s interim president, Dr. Patrick White, opened convocation by explaining the meaning of the word: gathering. Once he finished welcoming the first year students to Millikin, he asked that the audience have a moment of silence for Amanda Puckett.

White began to talk about First Week and this year’s theme, “Leave Your Mark.” He continued to explain the best ways for people to leave their marks on each other and on this campus. Helping others is a great way to leave one’s mark on another. White encouraged every student to go out into the world to do big things. “Wherever you go and whatever you do, you will always be the voice of Millikin, and we will always welcome you home,” he said.

Dr. White introduced the teachers who had received tenure last spring. These teachers include Dr. Nancy Curtin, Associate Professor of Communication; Dr. Susan Kruml, Associate Professor of Marketing; Dr. Christi Magoulias, Associate Professor of Education; Alex Miller, Associate Professor of Theater and Dance and Georgette Page, Associate Professor of Education. He then introduced the faculty speaker for the evening, Dr. Paris Barnes, Assistant Professor of Chemistry.

Dr. Barnes won the 2013 Teaching Excellence and Leadership Award last spring. He used his speech time to give three pieces of advice to the first year students. Each piece of advice came from a combination of his own experiences and the experiences from his many students and friends. His first piece of advice came from Millikin alum Nicole Zabrinas. She said, “Take advantage of your resources. You’ve already paid for them.” Millikin has resources such as course tutors, the writing center and the math center.

The second piece of advice he gave came from a current Millikin student. Hannah Gifford, a senior, said, “There will come a time when you feel overwhelmed, but hang in there!” The teachers on Millikin’s campus are ready and willing to help in any way they can.

The third piece of advice came from Dr. Barnes himself. He said, “Practice, practice, practice.” No matter the major, everything requires practice.

Stacey Hubbard, Senior Director of Development, gave a presentation on the history of Millikin and its campus. Millikin has had several famous people visit, such as Ronald Reagan, Jay Leno, Colin Powell, and Seth Meyers. Housing has been changed a lot over the years, mostly for the better. This is true with the traditions as well. Renovations were done on PMC, Leighty-Tabor, Scovill, Pilling Chapel and the Frank M. Lindsay Field not too long ago. She then explained the Transform MU campaign that the administration is currently working on.

Raphaella Prange, the Dean of Student Development, introduced the student speakers. Jacqui Rogers, the Student Senate President, began by telling the student body that everything was going to be okay. Times may have changed, but Millikin’s heart and mission statement have not changed. “We have an opportunity to leave our mark on Millikin,” she said.

Alexis Rogers was the class speaker for the class of 2016. She encouraged students to get involved, but to remember to keep morals and values close. She also reminded students that teachers and upperclassmen are there to help.

Kiara Colón was the class speaker for the class of 2015. She explained that Millikin was where she met her second family. Influencing others is the best way to leave a mark on them. She encouraged the sophomore class to take leadership roles and influence others in a bigger way.

Malcolm Branch was the class speaker for the class of 2014. He told students that they can be heard. He said, “Please believe you have nothing to fear on this campus.” When a student feels that something can be done better, such as the food in Wornick Dining Hall, that student should not be afraid to tell someone. Do not be afraid to go ask Chef Brian to offer other food options, for example.

Dr. White closed convocation by encouraging all students to sing of Millikin’s greatness. He encouraged the student body to come together. He said, “We are, together, the Big Blue. We are Millikin.”