World News

According to the New York Times, people just outside of Damascus were flocking to hospitals seeking medical help, for what seemed to be side effects of chemical warfare on Wednesday, August 21. While it the cause of death and number of victims is still undetermined, the signs seem to be pointing to chemical warfare. There seems to be no visible signs of death, and those seeking medical help are seen coughing and struggling to breathe. It was also reported that a gray cloud of smoke was visible over the town. They have yet to discover who was behind the attack, and all sides are playing the blame game. The rebels say the government is to blame for this attack, while Russia is adamant the attack was from the rebels themselves in order to force out the current President Bashar al-Assad. This chemical attack could what tips the balance for the civil war currently going on in Syria. The United States as yet to make a response to this latest attack, but President Obama a year ago has been on record saying if chemical warfare would mean the United States involvment in Syria’s civil war.

In other news, the CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, and six other companies have joined together including, Ericsson, Nokia, Opera, MediaTek, Samsung, and Qualcomm to bring Internet.org. This launch will bring internet to the remaining two thirds of the world’s population who are still without the luxry of internet capabilities. Only 2.7 billion people have internet according to nydailynews.com, and that number is only slowly growing. Zuckerberg went on to insist that this play was not for the sole benefit of the major corperations involved, but those who have not been able to recieve the use of internet.

The former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, 85, is to be released from prison and placed on house arrest, says Egyptian Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi. The release of the former president could spell trouble, and Egyptian authorites have tightened security, and they have already arrested two Islamic figures, both of whom were caught trying to leave Egypt.

According to boston. com, Bradley Manning, who was sentenced to 35 years in prison for posting government secrets to WikiLeaks, now wishes to become Chelsea E. Manning. Manning released this information to the “Today” show on the NBC network. The letter recieved by NBC said, “As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me. I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible”. Manning’s lawyer is determined to see his clients wishes are observed when he is sent to prison. And how as people following the case reacted? A lot of are now saying the support Manning, and are hoping for leniacny from the government.