First Week Happens!

First Week is a time for incoming freshmen to get acclimated to Millikin’s campus. During this year’s First Week, first year students had the opportunity to participate in events, attend seminar classes, and meet new people.

First year move-in began with the honors students on Monday, August 19, and move-in continued into Tuesday, August 20.

First year students met their First Year Experience Mentors and their seminar classes that night. They were welcomed to Millikin and then watched Nate Staniforth, a magician.

On Wednesday, there were optional math seminars to help first year students know where they would be placed. There were also Men and Women’s Identity Summits about the responsibility of risk. In these seminars, first years learned about the risks of drinking, drugs and unprotected sex. That night, Mission IMROVable performed in Kirkland Fine Arts Center.

On Thursday, students went to Alcohol and Drug Education Break Out Groups. In an activity named “Meet the Class of 2017,” students discovered just how many things they have in common with each other. Then, they watched “Hangover 3” on the quad.

On Friday, Dr. Money lead a seminar on Ethical Reasoning. Catey Phiel, a freshman musical theater major, said, “Dr. Money was awesome!” That night, there was a giant party named First Week Frenzy.

Everyone at First Week Frenzy was really excited. Alpha Chi Omega was there with popcorn to give away, and they brought their game of Bags for people to play. Bands were playing on the quad for people to enjoy and dance to. In Lower RTUC, there was a nacho bar, and UCB was hosting an activity that would allow students to win money. There were also opportunities to make wax hands and other crafts.

Phiel said, “First Week was really cool because I met all of these awesome people.”

Many students enjoyed First Week. However, it is not without its kinks. Jillian Thomas, freshman musical theater major, said, “The only thing is that they kept us out late every night and then we had to get up really early.” Kyle McArdell, freshman vocal music education major, said, “I guess it is slow sometimes. There’s exhaustion to a point where it’s inconvenient.”

Despite these flaws, First Week has been a great chance for first year students to get to know each other and the school. Thomas said, “I love this school!”